See if you can figure out which sample sentence below are appositives and which are absolutes:
1. Hands freezing, heart slowing, the newcomer slowly realized that he was not leaving the Yukon alive.
2. Tail wagging, feet moving swiftly, the dog stayed by the newcomers side.
3. The minister, a man who chose to wear a black veil over his head for the rest of his life, confused the townspeople with his actions.
4. The congregation, a small group of nosey people, would rather gossip about Mr. Hooper's veil than to ask him the purpose for wearing it.
5. Walter Mitty, a weak old man, was used to following his wife's commands.
6. Hands clenched on the wheel, eyes focused on the rear view mirror, Walter tried to avoid anyone who made him feel inferior.
**To comment, click COMMENT on the top of this blog. The first person to comment with the correct answers for 1-6 (above) will get an ice cream sandwich.
Have a great night!