1. Identify where and when the novel begins.
2. What mood is suggested by this setting? Give at least three clues that suggest this.
3. The setting and atmosphere change. Explain the changes.
4. What does the adult narrator say about the tree?
5. How does the 16-year old Gene view the tree?
6. In general, what is the significance of the tree to Gene OVERALL?
7. What is accomplished by having Gene narrate the story?
8. What is Gene's purpose in returning to Devon?
9. How does Knowles reveal that Gene has finally accepted whatever has happened and put the whole thing behind him?
10. How are Gene and Finny united after the jum