1) How has the meat packing industry changed since 1908? Jurgis and his family were very involved in the various areas of the meat packing industry in 1908, have things changed since then, or are conditions still as bad today as they were then?
2) Were food borne illness a bigger problem in 1908 than they are today? One of Elzbieta's children was killed by an illness after eating sausage from the packing houses. He most likely contracted a disease from the processed meat, leading to his death.
3) Why do all of the major food corporations hide things from us? Why do they not want for us to know how they prepare our food? In Upton Sinclair's the jungle, people are given guided tours through the slaughter houses, and certain floors of the buildings, but were not aloud in certain places, for unknown reasons.
4) Why are the animals that are brought in for slaughter treated so badly? In Upton Sinclair's novel, he reveales to us that the men unloading the cows and pigs for slaughter, kick and shove the laim animals that were injured during their travels.
5) Is sugar free food really better for you? Is using substitutes for actual food products really a healthy idea? In the novel The Jungle, Upton Sinclair tells us about how the meat packing industry would inject chemicals into bad, spoiled meat, to make it appear healthy and normal, even when it is actually not good at all. This proves that the food industry can disguise our food to make it look and taste good, when really, it is doing our body's harm.
I've chosen 2) for my essay topic.
I will keep this little blog here so you and I can communicate better. Please note that it does not replace your BRAIN. Attend class, take notes, ask questions - these are your best and most powerful tools - not the blog.
Ministers Black Veil1dfb56378a